Chicken Pot Pies with Mushrooms and Grainy Dijon Gravy
Try this American favorite changed up with Dijon mustard and lots of mushrooms. Use Rachael’s Poached Chicken as your base.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound white mushrooms or crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 starchy potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or dry white wine or an additional 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups chicken stock or poaching liquid
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 cups pulled or diced cooked, poached chicken
- Puff pastry sheets
- Egg wash, for pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
- Heat the EVOO in a large, deep skillet over medium to medium-high heat; add the butter. When it foams, add the mushrooms and brown for 7-8 minutes. Add the thyme, carrots, potato, shallots and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, partially covered, for 4-5 minutes more to soften; sprinkle the flour over the pan and stir for 1 minute. Add the sherry or wine and stir to reduce by half. Add the stock and simmer to thicken, 5 minutes. Add the Worcestershire, Dijon, peas, and chicken and heat through. Add more stock if too thick. Reduce the heat to low.
- Place the pastry on a parchment-lined baking sheet and wash with the egg. Bake until golden. Cut the pastry to fit the bowls to serve the pot pies in individual portions.
- Serve filling in bowls topped with pastry crust.
*If making ahead, make the filling completely and cool. On the night you want to serve, heat the filling and bake off the puff pastry tops.
Cooking with alcohol enhances the flavors of certain dishes. Some of the alcohol burns off in the process of cooking. If you are concerned about using alcohol when you cook, you may use the appropriate substitute listed in the ingredients.