Chicken Roll-ups with Fruity Couscous
This colorful meal will be a crowdpleaser – enjoy it with your family or make extra for guests!
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
- 1 cup couscous, preferably whole wheat
- 2 carrots, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dried mango or apricot
Note: you will also need kitchen string to prepare this meal.
- Fill a medium skillet halfway with salted water; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the asparagus in a colander and rinse with cold water. Toss with 2 teaspoons of EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat a grill to medium. Cut six 12-inch pieces of kitchen string. In a small bowl, stir together the jam, lemon juice and the remaining 1 teaspoon of EVOO.
- Pound each piece of chicken about a quarter inch thick and season with salt and pepper. Place skinned-side down on a baking sheet. Divide the asparagus into six equal portions and place each portion crosswise in the center of a chicken cutlet. Roll up each cutlet and tie closed with the kitchen string. Brush the roll-ups with the jam mixture; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the chicken roll-ups to the grill, cover and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in the couscous, carrots and mango, then cover, turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with the chicken.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.