Chicken Thigh Pie
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup orange or pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 boxes cornbread mix, such as Jiffy brand
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F for the cornbread (if you’re using Jiffy brand), or pre-heat according to the package directions.
- Place a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat with the sweet potatoes and enough cold water to cover them. Bring the water up to a bubble, then reduce the heat to medium and boil the sweet potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the cooked potatoes and reserve.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the browned chicken to a plate and add the butter to the pan to melt. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and cook for about a minute. Whisk the stock and juice into the butter-flour mixture and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the barbecue sauce, scallions, peas and the reserved chicken and potatoes to the pan, then stir to combine. Season again with salt and pepper and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Prepare the cornbread batter according to the package directions. Spread the batter over the top of the casserole and bake until the bread is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Cut the casserole into slices and serve.