Chicken with Apple Gravy, Cheesy Rice Pilaf with Peas and Green Beans with Green Onions
A tasty apple gravy perks up chicken breasts. Complete the meal with cheesy rice pilaf and peas and green beans.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 scallions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the rice and toast until light brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 1/2 cups stock and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, stir in the peas and cheese.
- While the rice cooks, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook until the juices run clear, 5-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet, then whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the apple cider and the remaining 1 cup chicken stock and cook until slightly thickened; season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- While the chicken cooks, in a large saucepan, bring 1 inch of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cover and cook to al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain the beans and return to the saucepan. Toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and the scallions; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the apple gravy over the chicken and serve the rice and green beans alongside.
Photo credit: Tina Rupp