Chicken with Mushroom-Dijon Gravy
- 1 1/2 cups white and wild rice blend
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced (or buy the pre-packaged sliced mushrooms to save yourself some time)
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat for the asparagus.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the EVOO is hot, cook the chicken breasts until brown on each side and cooked through.
- Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the asparagus and cook until tender. Drain and reserve.
- When the chicken is finished, remove it from the pan and reserve. Add the butter to the hot pan and melt. Add the mushrooms to the pan and brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the shallots and thyme and cook until tender, about 3-4 minutes. When all the vegetables are tender, sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and shallots, cook for about 1 minute, then stir in the white wine, chicken stock, Dijon mustard and heavy cream. Cook about 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve the chicken topped with the Dijon gravy and the rice and asparagus alongside.