Chicken with Tarragon Cream and Green Bean Rice Pilaf
Company coming? Serve this chicken with a rich and creamy tarragon sauce that guests of all ages will enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup thin spaghetti, broken
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup frozen French-cut green beans
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 8 small white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add the spaghetti and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes. Add the rice, then stir in 1 3/4 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot and cook for 18 minutes. Stir in the green beans, then cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for a couple of minutes, then fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the skillet and lower the heat to medium. Stir in the mushrooms and shallot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the remaining 1 cup chicken stock and the crème fraiche, tarragon, mustard and any chicken juices.
- Slice the chicken and serve alongside or on top of the rice. Spoon the sauce on top.