Chicken Yakitori Noodle Bowls with Whole Wheat Spaghetti
This recipe was tested by thousands of school students from coast to coast as part of a collaboration between Yum-o! and the Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Originally created to be served in schools, we’ve adapted the recipe here for you to try at home. Rachael also shared this recipe at the 2012 South Beach Wine & Food Festival Kidz Kitchen!
Would you like to see this recipe on your school lunch menu? Visit the Alliance for a Healthier Generation’s website to learn how!
- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated or finely minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches scallions, trimmed of root ends and cut into 2-inch pieces on an angle
- 1/3 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Place a large pot of water over high heat for the noodles. Once boiling, add some salt and the noodles and cook, according to the package directions. Drain thoroughly.
- While the water is coming up to a boil, place a large skillet over medium-high heat with the vegetable oil, about two turns of the pan. Toss the chicken with the grated ginger and season with some pepper. Add the chicken to the hot skillet; spread it out in an even layer and let it brown up for a couple of minutes.
- Shake and stir the skillet to turn the chicken pieces, then add the scallions, Tamari (eyeball it), sugar and sesame oil; bring up to a bubble and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the drained noodles to the skillet and toss to combine. To serve, transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle with some of the toasted sesame seeds.
Photo credit: Burcu Avsar