- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the EVOO in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers and garlic and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes. Add the chopped chicken, chili powder, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until heated though. Transfer to a mixing bowl, then stir in the cream cheese and cheddar cheese until well combined.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out rounds from the pie crust. Place a tablespoon or so of the mixture in the center of each pastry round. Brush the edges with water, fold the dough over and seal the edges with a fork. Spray the tops with cooking spray and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake the empanadas until they are brown, 15-20 minutes. Serve plain or with salsa for dipping.
Recipe courtesy of Yum-o! The Family Cookbook.