Chinese Rice Bowl
This rice bowl is made with tofu, which is made from soybeans and is really good for you.
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain white rice
- Store-bought vegetable spring rolls (optional)
- 1/4 cup Tamari (dark soy sauce), plus more for dipping spring rolls
- 2 teaspoons-1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, chopped with kitchen scissors into small pieces
- 1 pound medium or firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Bring water to a boil over high heat. Add rice and return to a boil. Place lid on pot and reduce heat to simmer; cook until tender, about 18 minutes.
- If you would like to serve some vegetable spring rolls with this rice bowl, prepare them while rice is cooking according to package directions, in a toaster oven or microwave.
- In a bowl, combine Tamari, sesame oil and scallions. Add tofu and toss to coat in sauce.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, place scoops of plain rice in bowls and top with tofu and sauce, then sprinkle the bowls with sesame seeds to garnish.
- Serve alone or with spring rolls on the side with extra Tamari for dipping.