Chorizo Corn Soup
This high-energy one-pot meal is filled with veggies!
- 1 pound Mexican chorizo sausage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 baking potato, peeled and diced
- 6 ears of corn, kernels removed, or 3-4 cups frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-5 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 fresh or dry bay leaf
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 large bunch kale, thick stems removed, leaves roughly chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 Portuguese rolls or English muffins, regular or whole grain
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Parsley or cilantro, for garnish
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring every now and then, for 2-3 minutes. Add the potatoes and corn and brown them up a little bit, then add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring up to a bubble. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the kale and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Just before serving, split and toast the rolls or muffins. Spread them with butter, then sprinkle them with a little paprika. Garnish the soup with parsley or cilantro and lime juice and serve the toasted rolls or muffins alongside.