Creamy Polenta with Butternut Squash
Serves 4 (or 6-8 as a side)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole or reduced fat milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1 box frozen butternut squash, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons honey (eyeball it)
- A dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4-5 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (about 1-2 handfuls)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a medium size saucepot over medium-high heat with the stock and milk. Bring the liquids to a simmer and stir in the polenta, whisking constantly so it doesn’t clump.
- Add the butternut squash to the polenta and cook, stirring frequently, until the polenta has thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the honey, nutmeg, thyme and cheese. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.