Crispy Fish Sticks
This catch of the day is reading for dipping!
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless cod or halibut fillets (1-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Carrot and celery sticks
- Toss the panko, cornmeal, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the paprika in a medium size bowl.
- Cut the fish crosswise (against the grain) into 1-inch-wide strips. Lay the fish in a pie plate; pour the buttermilk on top.
- Stir the mayonnaise, ketchup and chopped pickle in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove the fish slices from the buttermilk one at a time, place in the bowl with the crumb mixture and coat all over. Transfer the fish to a plate.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the EVOO in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat until hot, about 5 minutes. Add half of the fish sticks and cook, turning once with tongs, until crisp and golden on both sides, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining EVOO and fish. Serve with the sauce and vegetable sticks.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.