Crunchy Oven-Baked Chicken Toes
Calling all chicken finger lovers! Why buy frozen chicken fingers when you can make these yummy chicken toes yourself? These are easy enough for all age groups to make.
- 1 cup cornflakes cereal, any brand
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 2-inch pieces by a grown-up helper (GH)
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Have a GH turn the oven up to 375°F.
- Make the breading: Pour the corn flakes into a pie pan or other large, shallow dish. Crush the cereal up with your hands. Mix in bread crumbs, brown sugar, salt, pepper and allspice.
- Drizzle the vegetable oil evenly over the breading. Have your GH pour the oil out slowly. Toss and turn it to mix the oil all through the breadcrumbs and crushed up cornflakes.
- Pour the flour into another shallow dish and the beaten eggs into a third one.
- Turn the chicken in flour, then in the eggs and then in the special, crunchy breading.
- Arrange the chicken toes on a nonstick baking sheet.
- YOU AND YOUR GH SHOULD GO WASH YOUR HANDS NOW.
- Place the chicken toes in the oven and cook until crisp and brown all over, about 15 minutes.
- When the toes come out of the oven, it’s time to stir up the sauce for dipping them. Mix together honey mustard and barbecue sauce in a small bowl. Dip your hot chicken toes into the honey mustard barbecue sauce. Yum-o!