Deep-Dish Eggplant Parmigiano
This deep-dish but lighter (no breading!) simple eggplant parm highlights the flavor of the eggplant, itself. It works well on its own, as a starter, as a side or even as a pot luck dish.
- 3 firm, medium eggplants
- Olive oil, for shallow frying
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella, diced into small pieces
- 1 12 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 quarts pomodoro sauce, such as Rachael’s Pomodoro Sauce
- A handful of basil leaves
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat a shallow layer of oil in a 12-14-inch skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant for 2-3 minutes on each side until light golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Place a layer of sauce in a casserole dish. Top with a third of the eggplant, a few spoonfuls of sauce, a third of the mozzarella and the Parmigiano Reggiano and a few leaves of torn basil. Repeat two more times.
- Bake the eggplant for 35-40 minutes, until the top is brown and bubbly. Top with minced parsley and serve (let rest before cutting with a serrated knife).
- Serve with green salad alongside or as a first course.