Double-High Turkey and Portobello Patty Melts
For the turkey burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2–3 tablespoons onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
For the portobellos:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, sliced on an angle 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or Marsala wine (optional)
For the bread:
- Softened butter
- 8 slices pullman or sourdough bread
- 8 slices Jarlsberg cheese or Emmentaler cheese
- Make the turkey burgers: In a bowl, combine all of the turkey burger ingredients except the EVOO. Form the mixture into four thin patties. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8-10 minutes.
- Make the portobellos: In another skillet, heat 3 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the shallot, thyme, salt and pepper; cook to soften, 5-8 minutes. Deglaze with the sherry, if using.
- Wipe out a skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Spread the butter on one side of each bread slice. Layer each of four bread slices, buttered side out, with one cheese slice, a burger, some mushrooms, another cheese slice and another bread slice, buttered side out. Fry the melts in the skillet over medium heat until golden.
Cooking with alcohol enhances the flavors of certain dishes. Some of the alcohol burns off in the process of cooking. If you are concerned about using alcohol when you cook, you may use the appropriate substitute listed in the ingredients.