“Everything” Chicken Fingers
Rachael says, “Yup, here’s another recipe for chicken fingers. This one is a riff on everything bagels (my favorite). The chicken fingers are coated in everything crust (seeds, garlic and onion) then baked, not fried. Then they get dipped in a vegetable cream cheese sauce. High protein, low-carb fun!”
- 3 tablespoons dehydrated minced onion
- 3 tablespoons garlic flakes
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt or sea salt
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Wood skewers, soaked in water for 10-15 minutes
- 1 brick regular or low fat cream cheese (8 ounces), softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 ribs celery from the heart with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 4 bunches red seedless grapes
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the minced onion, garlic flakes, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, black pepper and coarse salt on a plate and mix it together. On a separate plate, drizzle EVOO over the chicken tenders, spread it around then skewer each chicken tender lengthwise.
- Dip each skewered piece of chicken into the seed mixture and turn to coat. Repeat until all the chicken has been coated, then transfer the skewers to a nonstick baking sheet. Wash up. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once about halfway through the cooking time.
- While the chicken is cooking make the dipping sauce: in a bowl, combine the soft cream cheese with buttermilk until smooth. Stir in the vegetables and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the oven and serve with the scallion-cream cheese dipping sauce alongside. Red seedless grapes make a refreshing side dish.