Farmer’s Stack Pancake Supper
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 2 ripe pears, such as Bartlett or Bosc, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 McIntosh, Honey Crisp, Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup cloudy apple cider (eyeball it)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup maple syrup plus 2 tablespoons (eyeball it), divided
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (about a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (about 1/3 palmful)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Buckwheat pancake mix, prepared according to package directions to yield 12 cakes
- 4 eggs
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Bake the bacon until crisp, 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reserve.
- Reduce the oven heat to warm.
- Place the pears, apples, cider and cinnamon stick in a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook until a chunky sauce forms, 12-15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of maple syrup and remove the cinnamon stick. Cover the pot and keep it warm over low heat until ready to serve.
- While the sauce is simmering, combine the ground turkey with the remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup, grill seasoning, fennel seeds and poultry seasoning. Form four large, thin sausage patties – you want them the same size as the pancakes, about 4 inches across.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of EVOO in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- While the patties are cooking, heat a griddle pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Wrap the butter into a folded paper towel and swipe a touch of butter across the hot skillet. Make 12 buckwheat pancakes, about 4 inches across each, keeping the finished ones warm in the oven as you go.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat with the remaining tablespoon of EVOO, about one turn of the pan. Cook the eggs over medium heat, any style that you prefer.
- To serve, stack one sausage patty, one pancake, one egg, one pancake, two strips of bacon and one pancake on plates. Spoon a hearty helping of the pear-apple-maple sauce over the top and serve ’em up!