Feel Good Potato Skins
Forget white potatoes and try these sweet potatoes stuffed with scrumptious ingredients. Rachael made these at the 2010 South Beach Wine & Food Festival Kidz Kitchen!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup low fat buttermilk or nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 4-5 slices regular or turkey bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 scallions, sliced on the bias
- Pre-heat the oven to 450˚F.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and rub them with EVOO, salt and pepper. Bake until tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- Halve the potatoes and scoop out about a third of the flesh of each into a medium size mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk or yogurt to the sweet potato flesh. Season with salt and paprika, then mash.
- Fill the potato skins with the mashed potatoes and arrange the skins on a baking sheet. Place them back into the oven for about 15 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook up the bacon in a skillet until golden brown. Reserve on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove the potato skins from the oven and sprinkle with the bacon, cheese and scallions. Serve with a salad alongside.