Feta-Stuffed Chicken with Tomato-Watermelon Salad
Take advantage of glorious tomatoes when they’re in season and pair them with feta-stuffed chicken breasts. Simple and scrumptious!
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup feta crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 small seedless watermelon
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes or 2 pints small tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley tops (a couple handfuls), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Balsamic drizzle (optional)
- Pita chips or pita crisps
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut into the fullest side of each chicken breast, making a deep incision into the meat to form a pocket across each breast. Stuff some cheese into each breast, then season liberally with pepper and gingerly with salt.
- Cut the watermelon into 1/4-inch-thick slices, then again into large bite-size pieces. Gently slice the tomatoes in a similar shape. If you are using smaller tomatoes, halve or quarter them.
- Peel the onion and quarter it lengthwise. Thinly slice the onion and combine it with the watermelon, tomatoes, parsley and mint. Dress the salad with lots of salt and pepper and about 4 tablespoons EVOO.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons EVOO in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for 6 minutes on each side. For outdoor grill or grill pan preparation, coat the chicken with about 2 tablespoons EVOO, season with salt and pepper, then grill for 12 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then slice it in wide slices on an angle and fan out the pieces on plates. If using, top the chicken with some balsamic drizzle. Serve with large portions of salad and pita chips or crisps alongside.