Fish Tacos with Quick Slaw, Avocado Sauce and Green Rice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus additional for drizzling
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 4 firm, white fish fillets, such as mahi-mahi (about 8 ounces each)
- Zest and juice of 3 limes, divided
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 12 6-8-inch flour tortillas
- Pre-heat the broiler, grill or a large nonstick skillet – whichever you prefer.
- Place a medium size pot over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Toss the jalapeños into the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add in the rice and cook it for about a minute (you’re toasting it, so it’s ready when it starts to smell nutty). Add in 2 1/2 cups of the stock and bring it up to a bubble. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer the rice until tender, about 20 minutes.
- While the rice is working, season the fish fillets on both sides with the lime zest, grill seasoning, cumin and coriander. Lightly drizzle some EVOO over the fillets and cook: if you’re broiling, the fish should take about 6 minutes to cook (3 minutes per side); if you’re grilling, the fillets should take about 8 minutes to cook (4 minutes per side); if you’re cooking them on the stovetop, they should take about 8 minutes to cook (4 minutes per side). Once the fish is cooked, transfer the fillets to a plate and cover them with foil until you’re ready – just don’t let them sit too long there!
- Once you’ve got the fish cooking, prepare the slaw by mixing together the juice of two limes and the honey, hot sauce and some salt and freshly ground black pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of EVOO. Add the cabbage and red onion, then toss to combine and set aside.
- Make the "green" part of the rice by pureeing together the baby spinach, cilantro and the remaining vegetable stock (about 1/2 cup) in a food processor. Dump the mixture into a dish and reserve it until the rice is finished cooking. Rinse out the food processor bowl and make the avocado sauce by pureeing together the avocados, sour cream, garlic and the juice of the remaining lime. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and set aside.
- When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the green sauce and transfer the rice to a serving bowl or platter.
- Assemble the fish tacos by shredding the fish fillets (each one should give you enough meat for three tacos) and placing some fish into each tortilla. Top them off with a little of the slaw and some avocado sauce. Serve each person three tacos and some green rice, then enjoy!