Greek Nacho Bowls
A Greek-inspired take on nachos! Serve with Buffalo Chicken Meatballs to have a variety of snacks to munch on while cheering on your favorite team.
- 1 package pita bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (1/3 palmful)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2-1 cup beef stock, enough to moisten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk (eyeball it)
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini, seeded and chopped, or pepperoncini rings
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (about 2 handfuls), roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Tear the pita bread into bite-size pieces and arrange on a sheet tray. Toast in the oven until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about two tablespoons. Once hot, add the ground lamb and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon as it browns, about 6-8 minutes. Add the eggplant, garlic, onion, cinnamon and paprika and season with some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Put a lid or some foil over the skillet and let everything cook for five minutes. Remove the lid, add one cup of beef stock and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- While the chili is cooking, make a béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for about two minutes. Whisk the milk into the roux and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the roux has thickened, stirring frequently. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Divide the toasted pitas between four serving bowls. Ladle the béchamel sauce over the chips and top with some chili. Garnish each bowl with some feta, chopped pepperoncini, olives, tomatoes and parsley.