A yogurt, feta and horseradish sauce seasoned with Greek herbs tops roast beef in this delicious sub. The sauce can be used in a variety of recipes. Why not hold a sub party? Rach presents a variety of subs and a homemade salad dressing to serve for a casual party with friends and family. Include Spicy Hummus Subs and Homemade Giardiniera on the menu.
- 1 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 cup Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus 1 teaspoon zest
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 sprig fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 rustic sub rolls or ciabatta rolls (6-8 inches), split
- 1 1/4 pounds deli-sliced roast beef or 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, grilled and sliced
- Thinly sliced tomato, red onion and English (seedless) cucumber
- Sliced Greek hot peppers or banana pepper rings
- A handful of flat leaf parsley tops or watercress leaves, coarsely chopped
- Place the yogurt and feta in the bowl of a food processor with the horseradish, lemon zest and juice, garlic, pepper and oregano. Process into a smooth sauce.
- Layer the sub rolls with the meat topped with sliced tomato, onion, cucumber, hot peppers, parsley or cress. Slather the roll tops with lots of sauce and set into place. Cut the subs in half and serve.
- Note: To serve with sliced steak rather than deli roast beef, bring a 1 1/2-pound piece of flank steak to room temperature and pat dry. Season the steak liberally with kosher salt or sea salt and coarse black pepper; drizzle with olive or vegetable oil. Cook for 10 minutes, turning once on a hot cast iron pan or griddle over medium-high heat. Let the meat rest, then slice very thinly on an angle against the grain.