Green Noodles and Ham
This meal is a feast and it’s super fast! The sauce cooks in just one minute – really!
- 1 box spinach fettucine pasta (12-14 ounces)
- 1/4 pound prosciutto
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1-1 1/2 cups grated Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil and add a spoonful of salt to the water to season the pasta as it cooks. When it boils, add pasta to the water and cook according to package directions to al dente (done, but with a bite to it).
- While the pasta cooks, cut prosciutto into thin, short, ribbon-like pieces using kitchen scissors. Separate ham ribbons, loosely pile them up and set aside.
- Pre-heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Place butter in pan to melt. Add one cup cream or half-and-half.
- Stirring constantly, add one cup cheese and cook sauce for one minute, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Turn off heat under sauce and have a grown-up helper (GH) drain the pasta for you. Add pasta and defrosted peas to the skillet. Toss pasta until sauce coats the noodles evenly. Add prosciutto ribbons and toss to evenly distribute them.
- Taste the pasta and, if you think it needs it, melt in even more cheese, up to 1/2 additional cup. When the pasta tastes perfect, start serving it up! Mangia! (That means “Eat!” in Italian!)