You’ll get plenty of greens in this rice dish – from flavorful jalapeños and cilantro and nutritious spinach! When made with vegetable stock, this dish is vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 3/4 pound baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Place a medium pot over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Toss the jalapeños into the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add in the rice and cook about a minute (you’re toasting it, so it’s ready when it starts to smell nutty). Add in 2 1/2 cups stock and bring up to a bubble. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer the rice until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Make the "green" part of the rice by pureeing together the baby spinach, cilantro and remaining stock (about 1/2 cup) in a food processor (ask a grown-up helper for assistance with the food processor, if you need it). Dump the mixture into a dish and reserve it until the rice is finished cooking. When the rice has finished cooking, stir in the green sauce and transfer the rice to a serving bowl or platter.