This fun recipe will help avocados "sail" onto your kids’ list of favorite foods! It makes a great light lunch, appetizer or snack.
1 lime, halved
- 1/2 medium size red onion, chopped
- 2-3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or flat leaf parsley (about a palmful), chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, halved lengthwise, pit removed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chop and slice the lime, onion, tomatoes and cilantro. Cut all around the ripe avocado lengthwise and down to the pit. Ask a grown-up helper (GH) for help with the chopping and slicing if you need it.
Twist and separate the halved avocado. Remove the pit with a spoon, then scoop the flesh out in one piece from both halves and place each half on a plate. Squeeze 1/2 lime over the avocado halves to keep them from turning brown.
In a bowl, add the tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and salt and pepper, to taste. Squeeze the juice from the other half of the lime. Toss to combine.
Spoon the tomato mixture over the avocado and serve.