Ham and Cheese Waffles with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 2 cups boxed pancake/waffle mix, prepared according to package directions. Note: the milk, egg and oil called for below is typical for many mixes. Modify as needed according to the directions for your particular mix.
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced ham, chopped
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- Melted butter (for brushing the waffle iron)
- 3/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 300ºF. Plug in a waffle iron.
- While the waffle iron is heating up, stir together the pancake/waffle mix, milk, egg and oil a large mixing bowl, making sure not to overmix. Toss in the ham and cheese and give it a stir to combine.
- Once the waffle iron is hot, brush it lightly with some melted butter, then ladle about 1/4 cup of batter into the center. Close the lid and cook until the waffles are golden brown and steam has stopped coming out from between the griddle plates, 3-4 minutes.
- Place the finished waffles onto a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack and reserve them in the warm oven while you finish cooking off the rest of your batter.
- While the waffles are cooking, whisk together the Dijon mustard and honey in a small serving bowl.
- Once all the waffles are done cooking, cut each waffle into four sticks. Plate the waffle sticks and pass them at the table with the honey mustard dipping sauce alongside.