High-Protein Spaghetti with Chick Peas and Roasted Cauliflower
This earthy, nutty recipe will satisfy a crowd.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- Olive oil, for drizzling, plus about 4 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 1 pound whole wheat or farro spaghetti
- 4 flat fillets anchovies
- 5-6 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can chick peas (28 ounces), rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Toss the cauliflower with a little olive oil and season with salt, pepper and rosemary. Transfer to the oven and roast until caramelized at the edges and tender, 25 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water just before draining.
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil, four turns of the pan, over medium heat. Melt the anchovies into the oil. Add the garlic and lower heat a bit; stir in the red pepper flakes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree half the chick peas with the stock. Add to the pan with the anchovies and garlic. Add remaining whole chick peas to the sauce.
- Toss the pasta in the starchy cooking water and chick pea sauce. Add the roasted cauliflower to the pasta and serve on warm dishes topped with cheese.