Lemony Pepper Parmesan-Dressed Salad
This easy, refreshing salad goes really well with our Tomato, Basil and Cheese Baked Pasta.
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Pinch of salt
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce
- Use the small holes of a cheese grater to grate the zest of the lemon (that’s the yellow part of the skin, not the white part).
- Squeeze the lemon juice from the lemon. (To get the juice out of a lemon, heat it up in the microwave for 10 seconds on high. Cut the lemon in half crosswise. Squeeze the lemon halves while holding them upright over the dressing bowl so that the seeds stay in the lemon halves instead of getting in the dressing.)
- Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl. Add pepper to the dressing bowl, too. Whisk the dressing and pour in the EVOO while you whisk. If you pour a slow, steady stream, three tablespoons of EVOO will pour out in a count to six.
- Once the oil is combined with the lemon juice and the mayonnaise, you can switch utensils and stir in the cheese and salt with a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Chop up the lettuce into 2-inch pieces. Place the lettuce in a salad bowl and top with the dressing when you are ready to serve.