London Broil with Smothered Onions and Crispy Smashed Potatoes
This recipe makes a full steak dinner!
- 6 Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds London broil, tenderized with a fork
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 softball-size onion, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought chicken stock
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into spears
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. When the oven reaches 400°F, pre-heat the broiler and set the rack 6-7 inches from the flame.
- In a medium size saucepot, cover the potatoes with cold water. Bring up to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until fork-tender. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put the steak on a broiler pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon EVOO and season with the salt and ground black pepper. Broil for 15 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove the meat from the broiler and allow it to rest for 5 minutes, tented with a piece of aluminum foil.
- While the steak is broiling, heat a medium sauté pan with 1 tablespoon EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the onion, salt and ground black pepper and tent with a piece of foil. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from heat, then mix in the Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar.
- When the potatoes are done, drain them and return them back to the pot. Mash them with the chicken stock, egg yolks, salt and ground black pepper. Transfer to a baking dish and place under the broiler until brown on top, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the steak and potatoes are broiled, toss the broccoli on a baking sheet with the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, salt and ground black pepper together and roast for 10-15 minutes, until tender and crispy.
- Slice the meat into thin slices and serve topped with the onions and some potatoes alongside.