Lunch Box: Cobb Salad Triple-Decker Sandwich
This lunch box special will keep kids going all the way ’til dinnertime!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- 1/2 cup regular or low fat ranch dressing (store-bought or homemade)
- 3-4 tablespoons blue cheese crumbles
- 12 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 14-16 lettuce leaves
- 4 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 pound deli chicken breast, thinly sliced
- Place a medium size skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. When the pan is hot, add the turkey bacon and cook until crispy, 3-4 minutes per side (cook this in batches if you need to, adding a few drops of EVOO to the pan before starting a new batch). When the bacon is finished cooking, transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess grease.
- While the bacon is cooking, stir together the ranch dressing and crumbled blue cheese. Portion the dressing out into four small sealable plastic containers and reserve the dressing until you’re ready to eat your sandwich.
- Assemble the sandwiches by laying down the four toasted slices of bread and topping each with a couple of lettuce leaves, a few slices of tomato, a few slices of avocado, a small handful of chicken breast and three slices of turkey bacon. Top each sandwich with a toasted sliced of bread and build another layer, repeating the first layer with the remaining ingredients. Cap off each sandwich with the remaining pieces of bread and wrap them up or place them into a sealable plastic container.
- When you’re ready to eat your sandwich, take off the top piece of bread and drizzle your portion of blue cheese ranch over the sandwich, then cap it back off and enjoy!