Maple Sausage-Stuffed Apples
These sweet and savory apples will hit the spot on an autumn day!
- 4 large Golden Delicious apples, halved crosswise and cored
- 1 pound chicken sausage
- 1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard or Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups mixed greens
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Arrange the the apples in it, cut-sides up.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the sausage, parsley and maple syrup. Using a rubber spatula, stuff each apple half so that the sausage mixture mounds out of the top, then drizzle with the EVOO. If you need help with the oven, as a grown-up helper (GH) to bake the stufffed apples until tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 40-45 minutes.
- In a salad bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and mustard, then whisk in the 1/4 cup EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Toss the greens with the dressing and serve with the stuffed apples.