Mashed Potatoes and Leeks
Lemon zest, leeks and seasoned cheese add pizzazz to mashed potatoes.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3-4 leeks, quartered lengthwise, chopped and washed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 wheels Boursin garlic and herb soft cheese (5.4 ounces each) or 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- Chicken stock or whole milk, for mashing
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Cover the pot and bring to a boil; salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the hot pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the EVOO over medium heat and melt the butter into the warm oil. When the butter foams, add the leeks and wilt for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes with the leeks, lemon zest, soft cheese and the stock or milk. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.