Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritious and tasty vegetables you can eat! You can enjoy this recipe as-is, or jazz it up by adding in 1/4 cup maple syrup or 1 chipotle in adobo sauce. Try serving with Creole Meatloves with Trinity Gravy.
- 2 1/2-3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, then cut them into 1 1/2-2-inch chunks. Place them into a large pot and cover them with cold water (they should be covered by two or so inches of water so that they cook evenly). Place the pot on the stove, add some salt and turn the heat on high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cook the potatoes for about 8 minutes, until they are tender but not falling apart. Drain the potatoes thoroughly, then pop them back into the pot and place them over medium heat to dry them out a bit. Add the buttermilk, pepper and some salt, to taste.
- Using a potato masher, mash up the sweet potatoes until smooth and serve them alongside Creole Meatloaves with Trinity Gravy.