Meat and Mushroom Eggplant Roll-ups with Tomato Gravy
Rachael says, "A friend was having a baby at work and she LOVES eggplant, so I wrote these three easy meals using eggplant steaks for her. I love you, Mommel Hommel, as much as you love eggplant. Enjoy!"
- 2 medium to large eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 6 steaks each
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound ground meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal)
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1/2 pound crimini and shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Pour 1/3 cup EVOO in a small dish. Brush the eggplant lightly on both sides and season eggplant steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks for 4 minutes on each side and remove. You will need to prepare the steaks in batches. Once removed from the grill or grill pan, do NOT pile the eggplant up. Stacking hot eggplant will cause overcooking.
- Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 3 tablespoons EVOO, about three turns of the pan of the pan, and add the ground meat. Break up the meat with the back of a spoon or wooden spatula and brown alone for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and rosemary, then turn heat back a bit and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, toast the whole grain bread and lightly butter it. Process the bread in a food processor or finely chop the bread.
- Heat a small saucepot over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons butter, melt, then whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in tomato paste, then 2 cups beef stock. Season with salt and pepper and reduce over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bread to meat and mushrooms and moisten with the remaining 1 cup beef stock. Mix in cheese, if using.
- Divide the mushroom meat mixture among the 12 slices of eggplant. Roll up each eggplant slice from the narrower end to the fat, rounded end. Repeat with all 12 slices.
- Serve three eggplant rollups per person and top with gravy.