Meat and Potato Cupcakes
Consider these "cupcakes" as Thanksgiving Dinner in a cup. Because they’re easy to transport, these are great to eat on-the-go as well as for family dinner. Kids will love the novelty of the presentation!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for brushing
- 1 Gala apple, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (about a palmful)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a handful), leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Poppy seeds, for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 425˚F.
- Place the potatoes in a pot; cover with water and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes to tender.
- Brush the inside of a 12-cup muffin tin with EVOO.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO. Add the apple, celery and onion and cook until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey with the breadcrumbs, egg, poultry seasoning, softened apple, celery and onion mixture, salt and pepper. Separate the mixture into twelve equal portions and shape into the muffin cups.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and put them into a food processor. Add the buttermilk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg and puree.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the muffins from the cups and “frost” the mini meatloaves with sweet potato puree. Roll the sides in herbs and top with poppy seeds.