Meatloaf Muffins with Barbecue Sauce
This is one of our favorite comfort foods at Yum-o!
- Vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for pan
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into quarters by a grown-up helper (GH)
- 1 small green bell pepper
- A splash of milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Brush a 6-muffin tin with vegetable oil or EVOO.
- Put ground beef into a big bowl.
- Put onions into a food processor.
- Cut the bell pepper in half and rip out the seeds and the white stuff and throw it away. Cut the pepper into a few pieces (ask your GH for help if you need it) and add to the food processor.
- Pulse the food processor to finely chop the onion and bell pepper. Add to the meat bowl.
- Whisk the milk into the beaten egg and add to meat. Add breadcrumbs and grill seasoning.
- In a small bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce, salsa and Worcestershire sauce. Pour half the sauce mixture into the bowl with the meatloaf mix. Mix the meatloaf together with your hands.
- Wash your hands well after handling the raw meat.
- Use a large ice cream scoop to put the meat into the muffin tin.
- Top each "muffin" with a spoonful of reserved sauce. Bake about 15 minutes. Ask your grown-up helper (GH) to cut open one muffin to test if it’s cooked through.