Mega Turkey Nacho Dinner
Rachael says, “Like chicken fingers and Buffalo-style anything, you can’t have too many nacho recipes! These nachos are topped with lots of veggies and are super satisfying. When it comes to cheese for my nachos or the use of cheese in general, I use less of good quality, strong flavor cheeses rather than more of reduced fat, flat-flavored cheeses.”
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (a palmful)
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin (half a palmful)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small zucchini, trimmed of ends, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into half moons
- 1 can sliced green chilies (4 ounces), drained
- 1 box frozen corn kernels (10 ounces)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 bag multi-grain tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper Jack or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, cut in half, pit removed, flesh removed and chopped
- Pre-heat the oven 375ºF.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan EVOO, about two tablespoons. Brown and crumble the ground turkey for 3-4 minutes and season with chili powder and cumin. Add onion, garlic, carrot and zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stir in chilies, corn and beans, then heat through and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in chicken stock and cook for 1-2 minutes more, remove from heat, then stir in cilantro, 1 teaspoon lime zest and the juice of the lime.
- Arrange a third of the bag of chips on a baking sheet with edges, top with a third of the turkey-vegetable mixture and a third of the cheese. Repeat two more times, ending with the cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, 5-6 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes and chopped avocado garnish and serve. That’s right. You are about to sit down and have nachos for dinner!