Mini Cheeseburger Salad with Yellow Mustard Vinaigrette
Who needs the bun when you can have your favorite cheeseburger this way?! The tangy mustard dressing hits the spot.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 small red onion, grated and chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (a palmful)
- 3/4 pound brick sharp cheddar cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick into small squares
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large hearts of romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced pickles, drained and chopped – choose from sweet, half-sour or dill varieties
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. (You can also pre-heat a grill pan or a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or pre-heat an outdoor grill instead of the skillet).
- While the pan is heating up, combine the meat with about 3 tablespoons of the grated red onion, the Worcestershire sauce and the grill and poultry seasonings (you may substitute salt and pepper for the grill and poultry seasonings). Form two-inch meatballs, then flatten them into patties. Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
- Cook the mini burgers for 3 minutes on each side, then top with cheese. Tent the mini cheeseburgers loosely with foil to help the cheese melt.
- While the burgers are cooking, whisk together the mustard and cider vinegar in a large salad bowl. Continue whisking and stream in the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop up the remaining red onion and add it to the bowl along with the romaine, pickles and tomatoes. Toss the salad to evenly coat everything in dressing.
- To serve, arrange the salad on a large platter and slide the mini burgers on top.