Mother’s Day BLD: Buckwheat Crepes with Ham, Gruyère, Asparagus Tips and Eggs
Honor Mom any time of the day with French-inspired crepes with ham, eggs, cheese and asparagus.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, plus 1/4 cup for scrambled eggs
- 11 large eggs, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided, 3 tablespoons melted, plus additional for eggs
- A drizzle of honey or agave syrup (a scant tablespoon)
- Fine sea salt
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/3 pound French ham or other mild ham, cut into 2-inch sticks
- 3/4 cup thin asparagus tips, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Whisk together the flours, milk, three of the eggs, melted butter, a few pinches of sea salt and a drizzle of sweetener. Whisk until completely smooth. Let the batter rest in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small pot or dish. Heat a crepe pan or a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Brush the pan with some melted butter using a pastry brush and add a scant 1/4 cup or medium ladleful of the crepe batter to the pan. Immediately swirl the pan to coat it evenly with the batter. Cook for 1 minute, then slide a thin spatula carefully underneath and flip the crepe. Cook for a few seconds less on the second side, then transfer to a plate. Repeat to make 8-10 crepes.
- Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ham and warm through, then add the asparagus tips and cook until tender-crisp, 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Beat the remaining eight eggs with 1/4 cup milk and the salt, pepper, chives and mustard. Add a dab of butter to the skillet and scramble the eggs over medium-low heat to your desired consistency. Slide the reserved ham and asparagus back into the eggs to combine. Remove from the heat.
- On each crepe, place some egg mixture and some cheese and roll up the crepes. Serve two crepes per person with a salad alongside.