- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 cups mushroom stock
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes (15 ounces each)
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1 package whole wheat penne (1 pound)
- 1 cup basil (about a handful), torn
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large sauté pan over high heat, add the EVOO. When the pan is hot, add the mushrooms, allspice, bay leaf, marjoram and freshly ground black pepper.
- When the mushrooms are brown, add a pinch of salt, carrot, celery, onion, garlic and peppers and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, until it smells sweet.
- Add the red wine into the pan to deglaze, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan, then add the stock, stewed tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce. Bring up to a bubble and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the ragout is cooking, cook the whole wheat penne: place a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add some salt and the penne and cook to al dente, according to the package directions.
- When the pasta is done, toss it together with the mushroom ragout. Top with torn fresh basil and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.