Not-Your-Mama’s Tuna Salad
This delish pasta salad can even go to the beach with you because it has no mayo (mayo can spoil out in the sun if it’s not kept really cold all the time). It also makes a fun and easy cold supper on a warm summer evening.
- 1 tub store-bought pesto sauce (1 cup), such as Contadina brand
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cans tuna in water (6 ounces each)
- 4 scallions, cut with kitchen scissors or chopped
- 1 whole roasted red pepper, cut up with kitchen scissors or chopped
- A handful of grape tomatoes, halved with small paring knife
- 1 pound medium shell pasta, cooked to al dente and cooled by running under
- Cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Place the pesto in a bowl and mix in the lemon juice. Add the tuna to the bowl and break it up into flakes with a fork.
- Add the scallions, red pepper, tomatoes and pasta to the bowl, then toss the salad to evenly coat it with the sauce. Season the salad with salt and pepper, to taste.
Photo credit: Tina Rupp