Open-Face Turkey Burgers with Pot Pie Gravy
Flavor ground turkey with fresh herbs for a lighter burger on or off the grill, topped with a seasonal vegetable sauce. Rachael shared this recipe at the 2011 South Beach Wine & Food Festival Kidz Kitchen!
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 sandwich-size English muffins, toasted
- In a bowl, combine the meat with the herbs, mustard, salt and pepper. Form four large patties.
- Heat a nonstick skillet with the EVOO over medium-high heat. Cook the burgers for 6-7 minutes on each side until firm and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepot over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the shallots, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and sauté for 7-8 minutes to soften. Sprinkle with flour, stir for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock. Let thicken for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the peas and heat through.
- Top each toasted muffin bottom with a burger and some pot pie gravy. Replace the muffin tops and serve.