“Orange You Hungry” Tangerine Dream Chicken with Curry-Carrot Couscous
This "dreamy" recipe has a fabulous tangy zing!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 4 tangerines or 6 clementines, zest of 1
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook in the hot pan until brown on both sides and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the citrus juice and zest, brown sugar, sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, hot sauce and 1/2 cup chicken stock to the skillet and simmer until syrupy, 5-6 minutes.
- While the sauce cooks, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO in a saucepot over medium heat and sauté the carrots and scallions for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups stock, bring to a boil, then stir in the curry, turmeric and couscous. Cover the pot and turn the heat off. Let the couscous stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- To serve, slice the chicken breasts on the bias and fan them out on a bed of couscous. Drizzle the tangerine sauce over everything.