Orzo Side Salad
Serve this pasta salad with Pork and Veggie Kebabs or other favorite grilled meats.
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small lemons
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 3/4 cups orzo pasta (8 ounces)
- 1 bunch celery (use the leafy tops, too!)
- 1 chunk feta cheese (4 ounces)
- 8 kalamata olives, preferably oil-packed with herbs
- Fill a medium size saucepan three-quarters full with cold water. Sprinkle about 2 teaspoons salt into the water and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, rest one end of a fine grater on the rim of a bowl. Finely zest the lemons into the bowl. Add the EVOO and sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; mix well with a rubber spatula.
- Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook, stirring often, until tender. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse well with cold water. Add the cooled orzo to the bowl with the lemon oil and toss.
- Starting at the top of the celery bunch, thinly cut crosswise with a large knife until you have about 1 cup cliced celery and leaves; add to the pasta. Crumble in the feta. Pit the olives, tear them in half and add to the pasta. Gently toss the pasta and transfer to a platter.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.