Pea and Edamame Soup with Grilled Cheese Sticks
Grilled cheese sticks are perfect for dipping and dunking in this tasty soup topped with a dollop of cream!
- 1 small onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package frozen baby peas (10 ounces), thawed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 4 slices Emmentaler cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Chop the onion finely. In a small stockpot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onion and a couple pinches of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the peas, edamame, 1 1/2 cups milk and the thyme into the pan. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the thyme sprigs from the soup using a pair of tongs; discard.
- Puree the soup and the remaining 1/2 cup milk with an immersion blender (or let cool and puree in a regular blender) until smooth, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Whip the heavy cream with an egg beater until stiff.
- Cut the crusts off the bread. Assemble four sammies with the cheese, cutting it to fit the bread.
- Melt the remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter over mdium-low heat in a large skillet. Add two sammies; cook until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 3 minutes. Cut each sandwich into three sticks. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 with the remaining butter and sammies.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, dollop with the whipped cream and top with the chives. Serve with the grilled cheese sticks.
Recipe by Tracey Seaman, Test Kitchen Director, Every Day with Rachael Ray. Reprinted with permission from Every Day with Rachael Ray.