Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta
This recipe is “wise” because it uses whole wheat pasta – which is high in protein and fiber compared to semolina pasta and has a tasty, nutty flavor – plus it’s "penny-wise" (Get it? “Penne” sounds like penny!), as it is both inexpensive to make and absolutely delicious!
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 ounces)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 7-8 leaves fresh sage, thinly sliced
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, to taste
- Heat the water for the pasta, salt it, then cook the penne to al dente.