Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Serve these Joes with an easy salad alongside, such as Peeler Salad.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound extra-lean ground sirloin or ground all-white-meat chicken
- 1 softball-size onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 1 cup beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole grain dinner rolls
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- In large skillet over medium-high heat with one turn of the pan of EVOO, brown the ground meat, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the onion starts to get tender. Stir in the steak sauce and beef stock, season with salt and pepper, bring up to a bubble and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Split open the rolls and toast them under the broiler, keeping an eye on them so that they don’t burn!
- While the meat is cooking, melt the butter in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk, then bring up to a bubble and let thicken, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese in a figure-eight motion until it is all incorporated.
- To serve, place a scoopful of the meat mixture onto the bottom of the rolls, then top with the cheese sauce and add the top of the roll. Serve with a salad alongside.