Pickled Onions, Peppers and Cucumbers
Serves 1 pint of pickles
Use this topping over burgers, sammies and other dishes.
- 2 cups white balsamic vinegar
- 2 rounded tablespoons kosher salt
- About 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber or 3 medium Kirby cucumbers, sliced
- 2 Fresno chili peppers, sliced into rings
- 4-5 fresh bay leaves
- A handful of fresh dill tops
- A few stems of parsley
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- Bring the vinegar, salt, sugar and water to a low boil and dissolve the salt and sugar. Reduce the heat to low.
- Layer the onions, cucumber, chili peppers, herbs and spices into a tight-fitting plastic or glass container.
- Douse the pickles with the brine, cover the container tightly and chill for 24 hours or several days, turning occasionally.