Polenta Deep-Dish White Pizza with Mushrooms and Sausage
Instead of pizza dough, this rustic, deep dish-style pizza is built on polenta, making it gluten-free. You’ll need a 9-inch cake pan or spring form pan or a rectangular 8-inch x 12-inch pan to prepare it.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh ricotta cheese, drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for greasing pan
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage with fennel
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, shredded
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425°F.
2. Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausage; brown and crumble, and remove. Add a little more oil and brown the mushrooms. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Add the garlic and stir for a minute more.
3. Top the polenta pizza crust with the drained ricotta and top with half of the sausage and mushrooms. Sprinkle all of the mozzarella over the mushrooms, then top with the remaining sausage crumbles and mushrooms again. Bake until brown and bubbly, 30 minutes.