Serves 2 quarts
Here is your go-to classic pomodoro recipe from Rach! Make extra and freeze to have on-hand.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cans Italian tomatoes (28-32 ounces each)
- A few leaves of basil, torn
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the butter and melt, then and add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and cook, partially covered, until very soft. Add the stock, then the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Stir in the basil; reduce the heat and simmer the sauce gently for 20-30 minutes, partially covered, stirring occasionally. Adjust the salt, to taste.
- Tip: For a thinner sauce or to stretch the yield, add 2 cups tomato passata or puree.